These Our Monsters: The English Heritage Book of New Folktale, Myth and Legend
Product Code: 505406
Order by 3pm for next day deliveryexc. Bank Holidays & Weekends
International Delivery Availablefrom £14.99
A contribution from the sale of this product helps us to secure this spectacular and unique heritage for future generations to enjoy.
Myths, legends, folklore: they are what we grow up with, from Easter bunnies to tooth fairies, to those tales repeated within families down the generations, to the older accounts that are fundamental to societies and nations and can form the backdrop to our understanding of ourselves. Crucially, they are stories, and stories that offer us a glimpse of a world slightly other than the one we know; magical, terrifying, or simply unsettling.
Here eight well-known writers tell stories inspired by the myths, legends and lore attached to historical sites within the care of English Heritage: Sarah Hall, Sarah Moss, Graeme Macrae Burnet, Fiona Mozley, Edward Carey, Alison MacLeod, Paul Kingsnorth and Adam Thorpe; also included is a foreword by journalist James Kidd, who reflects on their stories and the meaning of myth to us today, and a discussion of myths and legends attached to English Heritage sites by the historian Charles Kightly.
- Exclusive to English Heritage
- Stories from acclaimed literary novelists and short story writers such as Sarah Hall, Graeme Macrae Burnet, Fiona Mozley and Sarah Moss
- Illustrations drawn for the stories by the acclaimed artist Clive Hicks-Jenkins
- Each story inspired by English myths and legends and connected to an English Heritage site
- Historic and atmospheric settings from Tintagel Castle to Down House in Kent.
Authors, story titles and sites:
- Edward Carey, These Our Monsters, Bury St Edmunds Abbey
- Alison MacLeod, Great Pucklands, Down House
- Paul Kingsnorth, Goibert of the Moon, Stonehenge
- Sarah Hall, The Hand Under the Stone, Castlerigg Stone Circle
- Graeme Macrae Burnet, The Dark Thread, Whitby Abbey
- Sarah Moss, Breakynecky, Berwick Castle
- Fiona Mozley, The Loathly Lady, Carlisle Castle
Size: 220mm x 143mm
Standard Delivery £4.99: Applies to UK standard delivery rate only.
You can expect delivery by Royal Mail or Courier within 7 working days after placing your order.
Next Day Delivery (on orders placed before 3pm. Weekdays only) £6.99:
If order is placed before 3pm, you can expect delivery the following working day (excluding weekends). Please note a signature is required.
Overseas Delivery from £18.00:
Please Note: Some countries may charge tax and duty. This is the responsibility of the customer.
We reserve the right not to deliver orders if we believe the address is not secure, for example, to a communal postal address, PO Box or if the customer has incorrectly applied the wrong shipping area.If this affects an order you placed, we will notify you as soon as possible. We may also request additional ID.
For further information regarding delivery please visit our Delivery Information page.
Please Note: Weekends and Bank Holidays are NOT counted as working days.